Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Obesity & Stress

I'm doing much better at researching why I'm not losing the weight I want than I am actually losing it. The latest addition is this piece on how chronic stress and junk food stimulate the body to create biochemical messengers that cause fat to grow in all the wrong places. NPR has a good piece on it.

My modified goal is to exercise 12.5% more (which I've been doing), eating 12.5% less (which I'm not succeeding at but am inching toward), and now to find piece amidst my stressful life (which I'm also pretty much succeeding at). This will be my triple threat against being overweight, out of shape, and an unnecessarily shortened life (see previous post).

Part of calorie control, emphasized by this article on the role of junk food, is the elimination of junk food from the diet. That's an amazing "duh," I know. This research just serves as a reminder.

I've approached stress management in the past using relaxation and karate. I found that wasn't enough. The most significant change has been to adopt a bushido attitude. The bushido attitude says, I will not let others cause stress in me. The spirit is one of being indomitable in peace of mind; the application is situational. It comes down to asking, "Am I going to let this person in that situation cause me to feel that way? Why would I give them that power?" And then finding the spirit to shut out their malicious influence.

I'm on my way! Cheer me on!

No comments: