Saturday, June 23, 2007

More energy, more brain cells, more life (I hope)

In the last blog, I wrote about using calorie restriction (dieting) and increased exercise to rejuvenate my cells, and ideally, live a happier longer life. This time, I'm writing about another part of my program to feel better, live longer, and, now, ta da, be smarter, too. I'll also give an update on my progress (or lack of it).

Again, from Science News, comes a report on how your brain cells actually regenerate (or not) depending on how you live. See Brain Gain: Constant sprouting of neurons attracts scientists, drugmakers, by Brian Vastag, and published in Science News, Week of June 16, 2007; Vol. 171, No. 24 , p. 376.

In the article, brain cells growth responds to certain conditions and is repressed by others. From the article: "Exercise, estrogen, antidepressants, marijuana-like compounds, stimulating environments, and high social status, along with strokes and other injuries, all rev up production of new brain cells. Aging, stress, sleep deprivation, barren environments, and methylphenidate (Ritalin) damp it down."

So, I like my program of 12.5% less calories, 12.5% more exercise (measured as calories burned), with the addition of sleep, stress reduction, and interesting environments. I'll pass on the marijuana, estrogen, Ritalin, and strokes, thank you. Aging, too, please. Karate should help with the stress, as should more sleep.

Disclaimer. I'm choosing to do things that are moderate changes and that I feel are safe. I don't have any real evidence that I'll get the effect I want, particularly that I'll live longer or be smarter. Still, since I don't think it can hurt, I'm trying it. Follow at your own risk.

Update on my plan. So far, the days start well and end poorly. By the afternoon, I'm scrounging for food. Thursday, it was chocolate. Yesterday a bagel. I'm going to start bringing some good snacks to work to counter the afternoon lows. I've got to stay away from the big carbohydrate loads that I think after an initial sugar spike, drop my blood sugar even lower and send me into a downward death-by-sugar spiral.

The good news is I have upped the exercise. I'm adding hiking about 2 miles to the daily routine and I got in my first weight lifting in a long while. The shoulder's sore, but I'll do some light work on the weekend. Also, I'll put in more miles hiking, along with karate. The goal is to go just over the comfort line, but not so far as to be demotivating.




No comments: