Saturday, April 28, 2007

Karate and Authentic Learning

Authentic learning is a method of constructing learning experiences (you can't quite say teaching) that places the learner in the center of situations which as much as possible simulate the performance environment. Arguably, it is one of the most effective learning methods around. It also goes by the name apprentice learning.

Different karate dojos (learning environments) may or may not be authentic.

Before diving in to the question of whether karate is authentic learning, however, we have to ask - what is the performance environment? What are we trying to accomplish? Answering this question is the key to answering the other question -- is karate authentic learning? -- and answering it at the personal level -- is my karate authentic learning?

So, ask yourself, "What do I want to be able to do?"
  • Get a black belt.
  • Defeat a mugger.
  • Keep my family safe.
  • Compete in karate.
  • Stay in shape.
  • Beat up the bully.
  • Be part of a venerable tradition.
  • Live through a war.
  • Seek perfection of character. (See Funakoshi's Dojo Kun)
  • Take down criminals.
All of these are possible and legitimate goals of individual karateka. Depending on the goal, a particular dojo may or may not fit.

The reason the question of authenticity is so important can be illustrated by the goal "Defeat a mugger." I'll illustrate with a story.

I began learning karate eight years ago. After about a year, I experienced my first free sparring. Because I had been learning traditional karate-do (the art form), I was very good at jabbing by extending my fist forward, lunging, and pulling my draw hand to my opposite hip. I attacked my opponent (a third-year student) with all my enthusiasm and confidence. I missed. Bam. With my draw hand pulled back to my hip, there was a huge opening around my entire right side, which my opponent's huge fist filled. His fist cracked into my head, drove my glasses into my head, popped the lens out of the frame, and left a half-inch, freely bleeding gash in my eyebrow. I was so stunned (literally) that I spun as I fell to the floor. Less hurt than disillusioned, but that hurt deeply in its own way.

The hurt was the starting point of my answering what do I want to get out of this practice? Do I want to be invincible? Not gonna happen. So what, then? I decided I wanted the following out of my dojo:
  • personal drive
  • health
  • more safe (rather than a guarantee of safety)
  • companionship
  • last, and least, some art
There are multiple sensei in my dojo (Palmer Lake Shotokan Karate). Each has a focus. Each is authentic to a subset of these purposes. One instructor focuses on traditional shotokan and competition - he helps me get my health, companionship, and art - traditional karate is authentic because we practice how we expect to perform. My other instructor is much more interested in winning confrontations one will find in real life - and we practice in realistic situations to ensure we can perform as needed, including ground fighting, weapons, and legal ramifications. I am convinced I am more safe because of this training, healthier, and have great companionship with Sensei and the other students. As far as personal drive - that's up to me. Karate is a challenge and the more authentic it is, the more challenging it is. Drive is what we drawn on to push when others would give up.

So, my recommendation, is to determine what you want out of karate and align what you want with your learning environment. If you're in your perfect environment, your very lucky. If not, you may have to talk with your current instructor to request custom learning, a change of lessons, or even advice on changing dojos.

What you can't afford to do, on the street, is find out that your karate was not authentic. I have a small scar to remind me how lucky I was to lose that sparring match.

Acknowledgements
I was inspired to write this column by the blog http://vickygraboske.blogspot.com

No comments: